Houston is the fourth largest city in the USA by population. With nearly 7 million people living in the greater Houston area, there are a lot of drivers and a lot of car accidents. Unfortunately many of these accidents cause very serious injuries and death. About 640 people die in car accidents on busy Houston roads each year. According to this Houston Chronicle analysis, Houston is “the most deadly major metro area in the nation for drivers, passengers and the people in their path.”
Houston drivers know that some roads in the area are more treacherous than others. It is not always possible or prudent to bypass these roads but knowing which are the most dangerous can help you stay vigilant when you use them.
Houston’s Most Dangerous Roads
ValuePenguin did a study of the most dangerous highways in the entire United States. Three highways in Houston made the list and I-10 was the fifth most dangerous highway overall.
- I-10 – Between 2010 and 2016, I-10 had 585 fatalities.
- US-59 – Between 2010 and 2016, US-59 had 390 fatalities.
- US-290 – Between 2010 and 2016, US-290 had 212 fatalities.
Deadliest Intersections in Houston for Pedestrians
Busy roads are not only dangerous for drivers. According to HPD, in 2018, 66 pedestrians and nine bicyclists lost their lives in accidents involving vehicles. LinkHouston did a study in 2018 stating that more than 12,000 people were injured or killed in pedestrian accidents between 2013 and 2017. In total, they identified 12 intersections that have the most accidents and injuries:
- Fannin & Pierce – 13 accidents and 2 pedestrian fatalities
- Ranchester & Bellaire – 11 accidents and 1 pedestrian fatality
- Westheimer & Dairy Ashford – 11 accidents and 1 pedestrian fatality
- Long Point & Gessner – 4 accidents and 1 pedestrian fatality
- Westpark Dr. & US 59 South – 5 accidents and 1 pedestrian fatality & 1 bicycle fatality
- Old Spanish Trail & 288 South – 2 accidents and 2 pedestrian fatalities
- Fondren & West Belfort – 12 accidents and 1 pedestrian fatality
- Bissonnet & Wilcrest – 8 accidents and 1 pedestrian fatality
- West & Airline – 6 accidents and 1 pedestrian fatality
- Bellaire & South Gessner – 7 accidents and 1 pedestrian fatality
Because we have such busy roads, Houstonians have an increased change of being injured in a car accident. The attorneys at The Miller Law Firm have over 50 years of experience in helping victims of car accidents in Houston. An experienced car accident attorney can be what stands between you and the compensation you deserve. The Texas Bulldog knows the intricacies of Texas traffic and insurance laws. He will fight the insurance companies and always hold negligent, reckless and careless drivers responsible for their actions. Contact our team now for a free case evaluation.